OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

EndNote keyboard shortcuts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dylannickelson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: EndNote keyboard shortcuts? Reply with quote

I've used OpenOffice in the past but went back to Word because EndNote didn't work with OpenOffice. Now I have access to EndNote version 13, which does work with OpenOffice. I count this as a victory because I prefer to use OpenOffice to Word. So I moved back to OpenOffice, but here is my problem.

I can't find out how to use keyboard shortcuts in OpenOffice Writer to insert and edit EndNote citations. In Word you simply use 'Alt + 7' to insert an EndNote citation and 'Alt + 6' to edit a citation. There doesn't seems to be any equivalent in Writer. This means that I have to use the mouse to go to the toolbar, click on 'Insert Citation' and then go through the same process to edit the citation. This is crap! When you're writing academic papers you want efficiency and this is just labour intensive.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem that doesn't involve suggesting I move to Zotero or any other bibliography software.

Is the problem that OpenOffice doesn't support EndNote keyboard shortcuts, or vice versa?
ftack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably the endnote developpers that did not implement a hotkey for their plugin. However, I guess that you will be able to add a keyboard shortcut yourself to the tools by using "Tools - Customize". On the "keyboard" tab, the endnote functions will probably be found under "Openoffice.org Macros"
dylannickelson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any EndNote functions anywhere in the Customize window. The EndNote X3 toolbar menu doesn't even show up in the list of menus. I've sent an email to Thomson Reuters who make EndNote:

Quote:
Hi,

I've just installed EndNote 13 to use with OpenOffice but found that none of the EndNote keyboard shortcuts work in OpenOffice Writer.

For e.g. in Word, to enter a citation I press 'Alt + 7', to edit it I press 'Alt + 6'. Very efficient, very quick. This doesn't work in Writer. Why?

Many Thanks.

I'll get back to the thread on what they say or any solution they offer. In the meantime, if anyone knows how to create a keyboard shortcut for a menu item that doesn't show up in the 'customize' window, I'd love to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: