OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Adding items

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yo5bdm
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Adding items Reply with quote

Hello there to all of you. This is my first post here, but I've been watching this forum for a while and you guys are making a GREAT job! Many of my questions were solved even without registering here!

But now I have a question/problem. I want to make a small application that will generate proforma invoices. For this I would like to know if it is possible to add to an existing table some items (full rows) from another table/query.
Also I tried some tricks found on the web for opening a form from a button (a so called "Generate Invoice" button), but all of my attempts to use Macro's were failures, even after copy-paste'ing the right code, and doing the tutorials step by step. Does anyone know an easy and working method?

I am using Windows XP and OO 3.2 (the latest & updated).

Thank you very much for your time and help. ooBase is my first encounter with database management software. I am extremely pleased with what it can do.

Until next time,
Best regards
Sliderule
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo5bdm:

Welcome to OpenOffice Base.

You asked:

yo5bdm wrote:
For this I would like to know if it is possible to add to an existing table some items (full rows) from another table/query.

The answer is, yes, it is possible.

This is done, by using an SQL statement . . . INSERT. For documentation on using an INSERT statement with HSQL ( the embedded OpenOffice database engine ) . . . please review the following link:

http://www.hsqldb.org/doc/guide/ch09.html#insert-section

Let me give you an example . . . the table I want to add NEW records into is named "MyTable" . . . and . . . the table that contains the data data is named "MyOtherTable", so, the steps would be:
  1. Open your OpenOffice database file
  2. From the Menu: Tools - SQL...
  3. In the Command to execute box, add the SQL statement, for example:

Code:
    INSERT INTO "MyTable" Select * From "MyOtherTable"

You can use whatever Select SQL is needed, including a a Where clause that you have defined

4. Press the Execute button
  5. Command successfully executed. should be displayed, assuming everything works ( the names you suppled are correct ) Smile
  6. Press the Close button

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your first post title ( edit button ) if your issue has been fixed / resolved.
yo5bdm
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello sliderule and thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately this is not what I had in mind. I have some limited knowledge about SQL and I knew about the insert command, but I want to do this with forms. Let's say on one form I have a table containing part numbers mounted on a car and I want to transfer from that table that contains parts that are invoiced to the client. With the part number I need the description and price. Is this possible?

Also, about the opening of forms from another form, what can you say?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Base All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: