OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Is there a way to print horizontally in "butterfly"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xian45666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Is there a way to print horizontally in "butterfly" Reply with quote

Yea I think I might have confused some people above. What I mean is take a 8.5" x 11" piece of paper, and print on it one in landscape mode. Print one page on the left half of the paper and the next page on the other half. I'm making a manual and I would like to do it this way but I'm not sure how. I experimented a few times but I'm not having much luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dfrench

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you investigated the capability of your printer/os combination. In my case the canon s600 driver properties allow for a page setup of 2-up printing which produces the effect you require.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to print horizontally in "butterfly& Reply with quote

xian45666 wrote:
Yea I think I might have confused some people above. What I mean is take a 8.5" x 11" piece of paper, and print on it one in landscape mode. Print one page on the left half of the paper and the next page on the other half. I'm making a manual and I would like to do it this way but I'm not sure how. I experimented a few times but I'm not having much luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you want quality results, for up to 8 pages per sheet, you should check out Fineprint at www.fineprint.com. Depending on your printer and setup, you can play with font sizes and columns. However, the above software is excellent and dependable.

David.
cwchia
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact n-up printing is available in OOo. When you switch into Page Preview view, you should see a icon with a finger pointing on the icon bar (called 'Print Option Page Viiew') (i.e. the one next to the 'Close Preview' button. Click on that icon to create the n-up setup and then use the Print Page Preview icon (i.e. the one on the left to the Print Option Page View button) to print it.

Good Luck.
gkumba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way to print horizontally in "butterfly& Reply with quote

xian45666 wrote:

I've created many such booklets in OO.o from linux, and it's fairly simple. The first thing you need to do, is of course create your document with the appropriate page size. I used 5.5"x8.5" to create a booklet from 8.5"x11" paper. You'll set the page to Portrait, of course. and behave at this point like you simply have half size sheets to print on.

Once you are ready to print the document, you will simply set the printer to use Letter size paper in Landscape mode, and click the options button in the lower left hand corner of the OO.o print dialog. In the "Printer Options" dialog, simply check "Brochure" and click the "OK" button. If you have a printer that handles duplexing, or can fake it, just go ahead and print the bugger.

In my case, I take a few more steps from there. If you want to print multiple copies, I would recommend checking "print to file" prior to printing, and saving the output as postscript. I prefer this because then I am able to send certain pages with qtcups, split the pages with psselect, or convert the brochure to PDF with gs. Typically, I will do all of the above.

I have a feeling this is just the info you were looking for, I know it was when I started my manual project. I hope it saves you some time as well. Very Happy

for more specifics, please request them..
(gkumba - who may be addressed at - gmail - of the dot and - com)
-len
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: