OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Right justify numbering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kralon20
General User
General User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Right justify numbering Reply with quote

I am trying to right justify a numbered list. In other words, line up the decimals rather than the numerals.

I can use Styles to get a right justified list (decimals lined up), but when I save it as an Word doc, my styles get deleted and it goes back to left justified (numerals lined up).

Currently our whole company has moved to Open Office so I'm looking for a fix.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Running 3.2

Last edited by kralon20 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
stevesaunders
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: tab stops Reply with quote

Inserting and Editing Tab Stops
On the horizontal ruler you can see the tab stops for the current paragraph. If you want to change the tab stops, you should first consider the scope to which you want to change tab stops as follows:
Change the default tab stops for all documents: Use the menu Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org Writer - General.
Change the tab stops for all paragraphs using the current Paragraph Style: Right-click the paragraph to open the context menu, choose Edit Paragraph Style, click Tabs.
Change the tab stops for one or more paragraphs: Select the paragraphs, then click inside the ruler.
kralon20
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: tab stops Reply with quote

How does changing the tab stops change the alignment of the numbering?
PromptJock
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: tab stops Reply with quote

kralon20 wrote:

The tab stops determine "columnar" alignment for anything that isn't against the left margin (paragraph indents, bullets/numbering, etc.)

As I recall the default tab stops are every 5 columns (or 1/2 inch, English measurements). By moving the tab indicators at the top of the page ruler (the "L" shaped thingies), you can adjust where your paragraph indents, etc. will line up on the page.

Does this help?
JohnV
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This assumes a list created with the Numbering icon.

Select your numbered list, do Format > Bullets & Numbering > Position tab and change Number Alignment to Right. I have no idea how this will translate to Word.
kralon20
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Select your numbered list, do Format > Bullets & Numbering > Position tab and change Number Alignment to Right. I have no idea how this will translate to Word.

This is what I typically do to get the alignment I want. However, when I save to Word, close the doc and open it again, it returns to the Open Office default. Saving to Word makes Styles useless in this scenario.
kralon20
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: tab stops Reply with quote

PromptJock wrote:
kralon20 wrote:

The tab stops determine "columnar" alignment for anything that isn't against the left margin (paragraph indents, bullets/numbering, etc.)

Thanks for the reply. I understand tabbing, but that's not my issue.

I'm using "Bullets and Numbering" to make a list of items (using numbering). Once I go over 10. items, Writer will justify the numbers. I want it justified by the decimal.
BillP
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's supposed to be fixed in OOo 3.3:

Numbering alignment: right changes to left in DOC format
stevesaunders
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: tab stops Reply with quote

Open Office has an excellent help function, I tried to point you in the right direction. Sorry I failed.
There was more in that tab stop instruction that I did not send.
You can set a tab stop by clicking on the ruler or by selecting Format - Paragraph - Tabs. Both methods affect the current paragraph or all selected paragraphs.
Click the ruler once to set a left-justified tab. Right-click a tab icon on the ruler to see the context menu in which you can change the tab type.
To set several decimal tabs one after the other, keep clicking the icon to the left of the ruler until the desired tab type is shown, then click on the ruler.
Selection
Description:

Setting left tabs

Setting right tabs

Setting decimal tabs

Setting centered tabs

I tried to copy it here but failed again. You will have to look up the tab function in help to see it.
kralon20
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillP wrote:
It's supposed to be fixed in OOo 3.3:

Numbering alignment: right changes to left in DOC format

BINGO! Thank you.
stevesaunders
OOo Advocate
OOo Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: bullets;adding and editing Reply with quote

To apply numbering with a Paragraph Style
Paragraph Styles give you greater control over numbering that you apply in a document. When you change the numbering format of the style, all paragraphs using the style are automatically updated.
1.Choose Format - Styles and Formatting, and then click the Paragraph Styles icon.
2.Right-click the paragraph style that you want to apply numbering to, and then choose Modify.
3.Click the Numbering tab.
4.In the Numbering Styles box, select the type of numbering that you want to use.
5.Click OK.
6.Apply the style to the paragraphs that you want to add numbering to.
To access this command...
Choose Format - Paragraph - Indents & Spacing tab
Choose Format - Styles and Formatting - open context menu of an entry and choose Modify/New - Indents & Spacing tab
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: