OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Issue when saving file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sickhippie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Issue when saving file Reply with quote

Okay, here's the problem. When I open up a .xlsx file in OO, make a change, and try to save it, OO will automatically change the file extension. First problem was it always tried to save it in ODS format. No problem, right? I can just change the default format to something else. Well, there is no .xlsx format option.

I don't mind this behavior on a new file - I expect to have to set filename when creating a new document. But there is no reason a program should automatically change the file extension for an existing document. I have it saved as .xlsx for workflow reasons - the other members of my team are in California and use Office 2k7. Quite frankly, when I hit Ctrl-S to save an existing document, it should save the document with its current name in its current location with no further input from me.

This is standard behavior in most other programs - if I have a file named foo.bar open in notepad and hit ctrl-S, it saves it no questions asked - it doesn't save it as foo.txt.

Anyone else deal with this issue or have any options for me before I reinstall Office 2K7?
thomasjk
Super User
Super User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOo can read .xlsx formats but cannot save in them.
sickhippie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine - I don't need it saved in .xlsx format. I need it to keep the file extension of the file I'm saving. It can save it in xls or whatever. But, if the file I'm opening is not in the 'default format' it will prompt me to resave the file with a different extension.
sickhippie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind - I think I figured it out. You were right - it needs to save it in a writable format first before it will ctrl+s save with no input. I don't know if it will work on their end - there was an issue before with the extension throwing off how MS reads it or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Calc All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: