OpenOffice.org Forum at OOoForum.orgThe OpenOffice.org Forum

[Home]   [FAQ]   [Search]   [Memberlist]   [Usergroups]   [Register
 [Profile]   [Log in to check your private messages]   [Log in

Epub Tutorial - Converting .odt Docs to Epub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony_a20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Epub Tutorial - Converting .odt Docs to Epub Reply with quote

I've found a good tutorial showing how to hand convert OO text to ePub and mobi format for use on eBook readers - iPad, Kindle, MobiReader, etc.

Have a look at: www.katiebooks.ca

The tutorial also supplies most of the code necessary. It only requires editing to fit new book or document.

Tony
holliday22
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am guessing its not possible to just upload .pdf's to Amazon DTP? Or just .odt files?
Sober

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can convert .odt to .epub using http://www.2epub.com
holliday22
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can't upload .epub's to kindle, right?
tony_a20

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Publishing on Amazon Kindle requires .mobi format.

See mobi tutorial on www.katiebooks.ca

Tony
holliday22
Power User
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribed to this thread a while back. Is there still no way to easily convert a book done in open office to the kindle format?

It kills me that I have to miss out on additional sales just because of formatting challenges, but at the same time, I publish a high volume of niche titles and it doesnt make sense for me to pay someone $200 to convert it to kindle format. I need a way to do it myself that makes sense.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue? Smile
tony_a20

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Converting to Kindle or ePub format only seems challenging the first time. After that, you can re-use all the construction files needed except the actual content files containing your book. The other construction files only need editing to identify new book details.

Using the tutorials I mentioned above at www.katiebooks.ca explains, and provides the basic skeletons of the construction files needed. Once you have built your first ebook, the next one only requires minor changes of the skeleton information. It's not challenging at all.

It may take a couple of hours to read and understand the process, but it's logical and consistant. After that, it's a half-hour editing job for new work, or your first book if you copy the provided code from the tutorial. You don't have to understand all the code, just understand how to use it.

Give it a try.
tony_a20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Converting OO Books to Kindle Reply with quote

I just bought a Kindle 3, and had a chance to see the results of building a kindle book using the techniques on www.katiebooks.ca (previously I used Kindle for PC to test).
Everything worked just fine!

Once you understand what's going on, and how mobi and epub books are put together, problems disappear.
wdonne
General User
General User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use ODFToEPub to convert your ODT-document to ePub and Calibre to convert ePub to Mobi for Kindle.

http://www.pincette.biz/odftoepub/
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Werner Donné
Pincette bvba
net-buoy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

odf2epub is a commercial product that you have to purchase. I just tried to work my way through the demo and could not figure out how to convert a doc, so if I can't figure out the demo, I doubt whether one wants to pay for the macro.....
wdonne
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is so complicated to use this extension (not macro)? You just have to save the license file and click on the link in the automatic e-mail to install it. Then you install the extension with the extension manager, just like you do with any other extension. You will see an ePub-icon. Click on it and there is your ePub-file.

Werner.
net-buoy
General User
General User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post above is based on my confusion over the various products that are available in addition to odf2epub. Werner was very helpful in getting the confusion resolved and getting the product demo'd which does a very nice job.
Wryter
General User
General User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: This worked well for me Reply with quote

Tired of all the mis-information, I finally stumbled upon a great solution, at least for me. Here's a link to a "preview" of an e-book that probably saved my life, and certainly my marriage. When trying to get "AlphaZany: A Somewhat Silly Alphabet Book" onto Amazon in Kindle format, I downloaded, yes, bought for less than 10 bucks, Neil Slade's book referenced here.
No HTML, no MobiPocket ,but you'll have to save your OO document in Word .doc format - no big deal.
Mr. Slade is preparing an update, so his book may be temporarily unavailable - but here's the link. (and no, I'm not related! GRIN)
http://www.neilslade.com/EasyMakeAKindlePreview.pdf
Hope this helps even half as much as it did me!
BTW, you can see the results on Amazon - AlphaZany Kindle book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OOoForum.org Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org Writer All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: